ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Alternate Alternative Alt+Release Menu   [Zeta]

By: John Gruener     Orlando, Florida  
Date: Jul 18,2008 at 05:38
In Response to: Alternative proposal for Alt+Release menu (Juergen Hestermann)

> I don't think that this is "obvious". Why this yes/no toggle?

Jürgen, you participated in the original discussion and responded to the suggestion.

As I indicated then, I found this to be the most difficult part of the design. It was the simplest way I could think of to enable all options, without adding non-intuitive letters. No one spoke up with a better idea at the time.

> The sentence itself doesn't change significantly. I see now how it is
> meant but the words are confusing. When a user is seeing this for the
> first time he needs extra explanation to understand it. The two sentences

I tend to agree that the wording is not very intuitive, and am now having second thoughts about using non-intuitive letters. By adding just two letters we could avoid the toggle, and get back to all immediate responses.

What about this:

[O]ther branches
[N]on-current directories

So the complete selection set, all immediate, would be:

[D]rives
[T]his drive
[A]ll other drives
[F]iles in branch
[B]ranch
[O]ther branches
[C]urrent directory
[N]on-current directories

I think we could easily learn to associate the two new letters with this menu verbiage, and avoid the toggle.

I haven't figured out whether all that would fit, but with some abbreviation, it probably would.

One issue that hasn't been addressed is whether releasing all other directories or branches should apply to other drives. In the current implementation they apply only to the current drive. Branches and directories on other drives are not released. I think this is probably best, given that there are the Global and Showall display options, as well as the ability to release [A]ll other drives first if desirable. I think this provides the most granularity and flexibility, and is also the safest approach.

- John

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 51 users online (0 registered, 51 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 3:09 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,371,028  (23,425 Today )
RSS Feed