ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

I'm Curious...   [ZEP]

By: Cameron Hall     Hamilton, Ontario Canada  
Date: Jul 22,2008 at 02:14
In Response to: I'm Curious... (Alexander Mihajlov)

> 1) A bit more from CDs because they are older CDs. Sometimes DVD

Hmmm... OK..

> 2) I let burn software decide

Uh huh... Take Nero for instance.. The default is "Maximum" until a disk is recognized by the burner, at which the highest burn speed is automatically selected. If you plan to store this stuff for any length of time, a much more conservative burn speed is in order. Yes, it slows you down, but rest assured that some of these errors can be reduced this way.

> 3) For the most part

That's good to use name brand media.

> 4) Never

A good lightweight A/V product normally won't get in the way. Some A/V software really does hog system resources.

> 5) I make sure I do not

This is good. Multitasking has it's places. Burning isn't always one of them... :-)

> 6) I verify independently after burn. Problem never seems to coime up
> after a burn, just after CD/DVD has been stored awhile

Now we at least have somewhere to look at. Does a particular brand or set of brands cause problems after storage? How do you store them?

> 7) Yes

This also is good, Buffer underrun protection usually does it's magic without problems.

> I got some old one from 1995 that still read perfectly, but I was rather
> shocked that CDs I buirned 2 years ago showed some defect. So, I am going
> through all my old CDs and making new copies to DVD

Excellent idea.

As a side note, as A/V products get better, they also poke into older archives better than previous versions, and my experience has been that what wasn't considered a virus or malware before, may be now. This often causes the infamous "access denied" message. Just something to watch for.

Look over your storage conditions and media affected and see if there is any pattern to the failures.

And slow the burner down! :-)

Cameron

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 64 users online (0 registered, 64 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 5:05 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,373,741  (26,138 Today )
RSS Feed