ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] Alt-Mirror Enhancements   [Wish]

By: Steve Rawling     Sydney  
Date: Jul 29,2008 at 08:56
In Response to: [Wish] Alt-Mirror Enhancements (Juergen Hestermann)

> If you don't want
> empty directories to be created then simply use Alt+Copy.
Yes, Alt-C thanks for reminding me of that .

I used to use alt-C exclusively. I never need to copy an empty directory. I only ever create a directory when I wish to place a file in it. For me a copied empty directory is simpy one that I have forgotten to delete on the source. nor when I intentionally that I wish to then sometime ago I started using mirror.

I think I began using mirror because it require a few less key strokes( no B for branch no alt-T for tag no alt-U for untagging.)

I also actually DO prefer to use mirror when I am only copying a portion of a branch, again probbly because of the reduced number of keystrokes.

Copying empty directories is not a problem for me because I get a lot more empty directories after doing an alt compare to tag and then alt-D to strip files from the target branch that are no longer in the source. This task is of course something that many new users of ztw's mirror are surprised to find is not done automatically by mirror, because they are used to other tools that do when they "sychnonise" drives.

I actually like the way ztw mirror leaves the "dead" files" in the target, because I do not delete them but rather alt-move them to a c:\DELETE\yymmdd\ branch on my local drive and let them hand around there for a year of two, just in case I need them.

But I would imagine that a combination fo mirror alt compare and alt-delete could be set up without too much new code and so provide a type of mirror that others are used to. But then again there is always the option of using xcopy or even writing a ztw macro, which I would find scary to use.

Nope Mirror is fine by me, just the way it is

Steve

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 97 users online (0 registered, 97 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 10:16 am UTC  |  Hits:62,401,333  (16,119 Today )
RSS Feed