ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] How hard would it be to fully support hardlinks/junction internally ?   [Discuss]

By: Laurent Duchastel     Montréal, Québec  
Date: Sep 17,2010 at 23:02
In Response to: [Discuss] How hard would it be to fully support hardlinks/junction internally ? (Martijn Coppoolse)

> Not under XP.

But yes under Vista and Seven

> Besides, I usually run ZTreeWin with admin privileges
> anyway, even on Win7. :-)

I don't anymore.

I have both admin and normal accounts on each machine. All others users have non-admin privilieges as well. Even at home.

(I should say especially at home with my kids tempting to install junk adware and buggy games all the time! In previous OS setups, I gave them full admin rights for ease of use, but not these days. I ended up with a buggy OS that I had to reinstall from scratch (my favorite pastime). Whenever they need to install something that could affect all users, they now need my authorization).

When I had a single user account with admin rights, I used to disabled UAC and give ZTree full admin rights (and tweak registry to display networked map in admin mode).

Now that I have two accounts, I now prefer to switch to admin account (fast user switch is real-world FAST on my machines) whenever I need to perform somehting that requires full access and admin privileges.

My point about Symbolic link is that it can't be an interesting large-scale practice for normal users and safe network environment if it is limited to admin only.

Laurent Duchastel

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 87 users online (1 registered, 86 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 11:40 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,384,615  (37,012 Today )
RSS Feed