ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] Junction   [Wish]

By: Martijn Coppoolse   Homepage   Voorburg, NL  
Date: Sep 01,2011 at 20:00
In Response to: [Wish] Junction (Kim Henkel)

> > I use often switching between showing and hiding Junction and it is
> > uncomfortable to go every time to settings and change it. I think that
> > would be useful to show/hide junction with a shortcuts, e.g. Alt+J;
> > Alt+J,W. What do you think about?
>
> Conceptually, it's a fine idea - The debate will be is Alt-J the best
> keyboard binding (which excludes its use from the File window).

Alt-J already has a function in the File window: compare two files with the alternative comparison utility. That command is currently not available in the Tree Window, nor in the Dirmode Listwindow.
Since I take it Alt-J in the FW will remain unchanged, this would mean that using Alt+J to toggle display of junctions would only work in the Tree Window or Dirmode Listwindow. But then, it makes sense to only include it in those two windows anyway; the FW doesn’t have any junctions to show anyway.

On the other hand, something might be said in favour of allowing Alt-J for alternative compare on directories as well; since many compare utilities that I know of (e.g. WinMerge, KDiff3) are perfectly capable of comparing directories as well as files. That would mean another shortcut should be sought for toggling the display of junctions.
AFAICS, Alt+[D]isplay is also still available in all windows. (Alt+[D]isplay could also present a menu grouping other display options as well; like the columns, and, erm, I can’t really think of any).

Personally, I’m fine with either option.

> Also, presumably, toggling the setting would require redrawing the
> current tree display.

That’s true, though perhaps only when in the Tree Window. Is that a problem when in
a) the Tree Window
b) a File Window
and/or in
c) a Dirmode List Window?

--
Martijn

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 74 users online (1 registered, 73 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:27 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,405,572  (20,358 Today )
RSS Feed