ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Notice] "FileManager" for Mac OS X   [Notice]

By: Robert Baguley       
Date: Sep 19,2011 at 14:20
In Response to: [Notice] "FileManager" for Mac OS X (Ian Binnie)

Hi Ian

I downloaded your File Manager program over the weekend and played around with it. It looks very good and seems very stable.

As you mentioned, the basic framework is already there but not all features are implemeted yet. You probably already have a roadmap of what you want to do next. As a newbee to the Mac, I'd like to explore the Mac by walking around inside it, so my vote would go for * to log all directories under the current directory, followed by B to show a list of files, and V (or better still F7) to look inside them.

I found out that double-clicking will open the file with the associated application, but when exploring it would be good to be able to look at the structure of the file also, with some sort of View command.

As a newbee, I'm not as familiar as I should be with the Mac user conventions. In some respects these appear to conflict with what we are used to in Windows, so it's just not possible to use the XTREE / ZTREE keystrokes without conflicting with the Mac interface guidelines. On my Mac F1 changes the screen brightness, so F1 can't be used to display help. I guess I just have to get used to the Mac keystokes.

As you mentioned, Apple would probably not look kindly on a name starting with i. But building on the Snow Leopard, Tiger etc. meme, could you call it "Cat's Eyes" since it enables you to see easily what's on the disk ?

As you mention, nowadays it seems more important that the product name be snappy and easy to remember, than that it describes what the produict does. TomTom, Excel, Powerpoint, Kermit don't describe anything but are easy to remember. But if the name can do both of course it's a double plus.

Robert

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 52 users online (0 registered, 52 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 7:20 am UTC  |  Hits:62,396,489  (11,275 Today )
RSS Feed