ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Bug] filenames with embedded ÿ char won't rename or retag   [Bug]

By: Ian Binnie   Homepage   Sydney  
Date: Oct 25,2011 at 10:28
In Response to: [Bug] filenames with embedded ÿ char won't rename or retag (John Montenigro)

> > That's wrong to boot. Make sure you are using a TT font - not
> raster.
> >
> I changed the shortcut from raster (8 x 12) to Lucida Console. Ouch! I
> find that painful to look at!

This is obviously a preference. After using Lucida Console for years, I find raster fonts painful.

> OK, so no difference.
>
> In the Files window, the filenames are not showing any special
> character, but once captured into the zls, I can see it when I do a
> FileView... ???

Kim would have to comment on this, but all the zls files I have contain only ANSI characters, so maybe ZTreeWin is still converting filenames it creates from Unicode to ANSI. If so this would explain why you see a character in the zls, and also why it will not tag it.
(NOTE ZTreeWin will quite happily read Unicode zls files).

> (In case it's of any value, Windows Explorer also does not show that
> character. Or rather, it shows as a "blank", but I know it's there when I
> view the filename as captured in the zls.)

If Windows Explorer shows the character as a "blank" this would suggest that the character in not supported by the font it is using, and even more that the Windows font substitution is unable to map it. (This all gets rather complex, but WIndows supports all (most) Unicode, but the fonts only have a limited set, and it substitutes a supported glyph.)

Where did you get the files with the unusual character?
Did you create them or get them from somewhere else?

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 35 users online (0 registered, 35 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 8:27 am UTC  |  Hits:62,398,090  (12,876 Today )
RSS Feed