ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] Add/Remove junction points   [Wish]

By: KJohnson     Vancouver, WA, US  
Date: Oct 25,2012 at 09:18
In Response to: [Wish] Add/Remove junction points (Liviu)

> > For me junctions are the best way to overcome having only 26 drive
> letters.
> > On a large network with lots of drives (including all the USB flash
> drives)
> > 26 is not enough. Using junctions gives me virtual pointers to remote
> drives.
>
> Just as a tech nitpick, and not to detract from the main point, but the
> target of what's commonly called "junctions" is limited to local drives.
> The equivalent for network drives would be "DFS links", but those require
> a server version of Windows to create/manage (with that available, yes,
> an entire LAN can technically be mapped under one drive letter, using a
> combination of local mount points and remote DFS links).
>
> Cheers,
> Liviu

Yes, you are correct. I was afraid this discussion would get lengthy and a bit off-topic, so my comments were a bit too brief to offer a full explanation. Also, the terms "junction" and "link" can be confusing and are sometimes used in a generic sense and I tend to refer to them all as junctions. For example, the mklink command can be used to create a junction (or a link).

I am constantly fighting a shortage of drive letters. I work with lots of servers that have lots of drives. I can not afford to map every drive on every server to a drive letter just so I can use it in ZTree. To mitigate this problem, when I set up a server, on the C: drive I create a folder that contains junctions that point to all the drives on that same server. To do that I create partition junctions using the mountvol command. They are junctions that point to a volume GUID. Then, in ZTree, when I connect to such a server I only have to use a single drive letter but I can access all the drives on that system as though they are folders under the C drive. The reparse points are processed on the server, not at the client. By the same token, to save drive letters, on my local PC I often use either junctions or symbolic links to point to other local drives. It's all about saving drive letters.

I sometimes fantasize that Kim will let us use a single numeric digit as a drive letter. Then we would create a table that maps the numeric drive letter to a UNC volume name. All file access would be done using fully qualified UNC names and drive letters would not be required. I know, I know, that's pretty far out but it illustrates how desperate I get for more drive letters in ZTree.

I won't go on -- this discussion could go on and on. But I agree with Laurent that it would sure help in ZTree to have create and delete commands for directory junctions.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 100 users online (0 registered, 100 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 8:57 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,380,205  (32,602 Today )
RSS Feed