ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] webTree?   [Discuss]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: Jul 06,2013 at 02:22
In Response to: [Discuss] webTree? (Ian Binnie)

> I can only imagine you are a child who cannot imagine a time before
> Windows.

I wish. Or better still, a child who cannot imagine Windows.

> ZTreeWin (not ZTree) was an extension to XTREE with support for 32bit,
> and later long filenames and, of course, additional memory.
>
> XTREE, while innovative, and ASFAIK the first "graphical" file manager
> for MSDOS was a (greatly improved) successor to SWEEP and CWEEP on CP/M
> (which didn't even have "directories").
>
> If you really don't understand the "main" use of ZTreeWin, try managing
> your filesystem without ZTreeWin or even Explorer.

I've tried it, don't like it. There was a period between the introduction of Win95, when Xtree didn't work reliably, and my discovery of Ztree that I don't like to remember.

I use Ztree all day for every file operation - moving, deleting, copying, renaming and even documenting. But most of those I could do with Explorer like most people do these days. The documenting of filenames/paths would probably be the most painful.

It's when I'm asked to fix a filespace problem that I find it indispensable. Finding the biggest, newest, etc, can be done with that Windows search thing, but I wouldn't like to try to do it quickly.

Just for fun, I'm currently searching a drive for jpg files of size:large using the Windows search. It's been running for several minutes now.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, and it's only people like me who work with uncontrolled users that need to use it for this kind of thing. The times I've seen it mentioned in the media, it's often been in relation to solving disk space problems, so I assumed that home users were using it for that.

I'm sure that many of the previous users of Ztree will continue using it when their disk space issues are over, but I would have thought that in the past many new users were attracted to it for this reason, and this may no longer be happening.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 61 users online (0 registered, 61 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 4:57 am UTC  |  Hits:62,392,928  (7,714 Today )
RSS Feed