ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] Q vs Alt-F4 for exiting ;-)   [Discuss]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: Nov 27,2013 at 09:44
In Response to: [Discuss] Q vs Alt-F4 for exiting ;-) (Liviu)

> Sorry, but I don't sympathize with any change of the classic keys,
> and F3 is one of them.
>
> > I'm finding that after a couple of decades of Windows usage, F5 is
> > becoming second nature and I have to think before refreshing.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but over time I've got more - not less - accustomed
> to different apps using different hotkeys. Even in pure MS world, compare
> for example cmd's own
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490894.aspx) vs the
> gui/explorer ones (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449). Hoping to
> have the same keys work the same across apps is illusory IMHO.

Of course it's pointless trying to make all function keys work the same everywhere, but F5 being used for refresh is not only extremely common in other programs, but is also something that is done very regularly and almost by reflex. I think it's a special case.

Same for control+S being used for saving, but there's no equivalent operation in Ztree, so it's fine to use for something else there. Perhaps Alt+Z, R is equivalent, but I, at least, don't use it often or by reflex.

Your Q vs Alt+F4 example isn't a special case because most of us don't quit out of Ztree very often, and Alt+F4 isn't a widely used combination in my opinion. I only learned it because I needed a way to work with programs when the mouse dies for some reason, and it's occasionally useful for shutting down games my kids refuse to close at bed time and they won't let go of the mouse. Just about everyone knows F5 refreshes a browser.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 49 users online (0 registered, 49 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 1:31 am UTC  |  Hits:62,387,454  (2,240 Today )
RSS Feed