ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

OT: source code ,HTML   [OT]

By: Darren DeFalco       
Date: Jul 04,2000 at 05:03
In Response to: OT: source code ,HTML (Steve Rawling)

> What I would like to do is occassionally just add
> bold and change colour to any one line or word, by
> using the appropriate simple HTML code.

Steve, Here's some quick tips:

There are three main categories of html tags: those that require a matching closing tag (like ), those that don't (like
), and those where the closing tag is optional (like

).

When you use the paragraph tag (

), it automatically includes a blank line at the end of the paragraph. If you don't want the blank line then use the line-break tag (
) instead. For example:

Line1

Line2

or
Line1

Line2

Note that this forum's text editor uses the
method by default, so you can use this to your advantage by hitting Enter.

As you know, you can bold, italic, underline and teletype format the text in your message (, , and ).

As for colors, html has "named colors" that you can use, but I don't find them useful, since the names don't mean much to me, and they're not "color safe" values. The hex color values (once you get used to them) are much more useful. Just keep in mind that the individual RGB color values can range from 00-FF, and to be "color safe" (for anything less than 24-bit video modes) make sure you only use RGB values that are in this list: 00, 33, 66, 99, AA, CC, FF. The font tag () is used to specify the text you want to change from the default text color. View the source for this post to see how the next sentence was done. A hex color value is in the form of #RRGGBB, so a full red would be #FF0000, full green would be #00FF00 , full blue would be #0000FF and full white would be #FFFFFF. Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/design/color/colorpick.asp for more info on this, and some good external links.

Html has quirks that take getting used to, especially when writing for multiple browsers! If you have other questions, I'd be happy to answer or point out an online resource to look at.

Darren

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 54 users online (0 registered, 54 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 11:31 am UTC  |  Hits:62,364,974  (17,371 Today )
RSS Feed