ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[OT] PDF file image optimisation   [OT]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: Feb 07,2014 at 03:00
In Response to: [OT] PDF file image optimisation (Ron Metzger)

> Try Foxit PhantomPDFâ„¢ Business 6.1,
> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Security/convert-export.php
>
> Should allow you to convert and compress. There is a batch mode, though
> I have not tried it.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I've been playing with Acrobat Pro's ability to edit the images one by one with an external program (uisng Irfanview), and it's more complicated than I thought.

Many of the files have at least one page that must remain in colour, e.g. photos, or greyscale, e.g. forms with a coloured background that might end up black if converted to monochrome, so I will have to do them page by page. Unless I can find something that lets me do that extremely quickly, it'll be cheaper to buy more space.

I find that image optimisation is something I just can't get users to do. Unless they end up with a file so enormous that they can't work with it, they aren't interested in doing it, even if they knew how. And even then, it's a difficult thing to teach. You need to know which resolutions are enough for certain documents, and which palette sizes and file types will be the most efficient. Often it's trial and error, and I can see why they're reluctant.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 69 users online (0 registered, 69 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:53 am UTC  |  Hits:62,386,467  (1,253 Today )
RSS Feed