ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Symlinks provide a "compact" solution   [Discuss]

By: Bill Kingsbury       
Date: May 28,2014 at 00:36
In Response to: [Discuss] Display a "separate" tray icon for each instance of ZTree? (Bill Kingsbury)

Thank you, Andrew for your suggestions.

I found a solution using Symlinks, adding two "alternate paths" to the ZTreeWin directory. Only one instance of ZTW64.EXE is used, so ZTree program updates won't be affected.

I put the "directory symlinks" under the ZTreeWin directory, using these commands:

mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_01\" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\"
mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_02\" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\"

That generated these two "directory soft links" pointing to the ZTreeWin directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_01\
C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_02\

These paths must be added to ZNOLOG.INI.

Now I have three different paths to ZTW64.EXE ... (which in my case, is in C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\).

Next, you could use copies of the ZTreeWin.lnk file -- adding ZTreeWin-2.lnk and ZTreeWin-3.lnk, for example.

Change two of the the Shortcut's Target paths (in the right-click Properties) to include the new directory symlinks (Symlink_xx, or whatever you named them).

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\ZTW64.EXE"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_01\ZTW64.EXE"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_02\ZTW64.EXE"

Also, install the unique icons in two of the Shortcut's Properties.

Now you can run three instances of ZTree, each with a unique taskbar & shortcut icon, and the taskbar icons won't "stack" or combine ... except when launching multiple instances of ZTree from one shortcut. This, when Windows *is* configured to combine taskbar icons for multiple instances of running programs.

Bill

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,593 Postings in 11,933 Threads, 348 registered users, 22 users online (0 registered, 22 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Nov 22, 2019 - 3:10 am EST  |  Hits:29,229,145  (3,823 Today )
RSS Feed