ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Symlinks provide a "compact" solution   [Discuss]

By: Bill Kingsbury       
Date: May 28,2014 at 00:36
In Response to: [Discuss] Display a "separate" tray icon for each instance of ZTree? (Bill Kingsbury)

Thank you, Andrew for your suggestions.

I found a solution using Symlinks, adding two "alternate paths" to the ZTreeWin directory. Only one instance of ZTW64.EXE is used, so ZTree program updates won't be affected.

I put the "directory symlinks" under the ZTreeWin directory, using these commands:

mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_01\" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\"
mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_02\" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\"

That generated these two "directory soft links" pointing to the ZTreeWin directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_01\
C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_02\

These paths must be added to ZNOLOG.INI.

Now I have three different paths to ZTW64.EXE ... (which in my case, is in C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\).

Next, you could use copies of the ZTreeWin.lnk file -- adding ZTreeWin-2.lnk and ZTreeWin-3.lnk, for example.

Change two of the the Shortcut's Target paths (in the right-click Properties) to include the new directory symlinks (Symlink_xx, or whatever you named them).

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\ZTW64.EXE"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_01\ZTW64.EXE"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ZTreeWin\Symlink_02\ZTW64.EXE"

Also, install the unique icons in two of the Shortcut's Properties.

Now you can run three instances of ZTree, each with a unique taskbar & shortcut icon, and the taskbar icons won't "stack" or combine ... except when launching multiple instances of ZTree from one shortcut. This, when Windows *is* configured to combine taskbar icons for multiple instances of running programs.

Bill

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,426 Postings in 11,918 Threads, 348 registered users, 7 users online (0 registered, 7 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Sep 17, 2019 - 1:10 pm EDT  |  Hits:28,645,449  (1,449 Today )
RSS Feed