ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[OT] Configure boot.wim error installing Windows 7   [OT]

By: Al Combs       
Date: Jun 21,2014 at 22:24
In Response to: [OT] Configure boot.wim error installing Windows 7 (Neil Clough)

> Hi All
>
> Sorry to post on this forum, but I have an error trying to install
> Windows 7
>
> As usual, I have wasted much time trawling the internet, only to be
> confronted with rubbish !!
>
> I see my exact problem stated , and I think hooray - a solution, but no
> such luck.
>
> And so I come back to the ZTree forum, where at least I know I will get
> intelligent answers !!
>
> Anyway this is the error message:
>
> Windows was unable to create a
> required installation folder. Please reconfigure your boot.wim file to
> use flag 9 setting for the first image, and restart your
> installation
>
> How do I configure boot.wim - it is on the DVD ??
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

I was waiting to see the other responses first because I'm definitely not the expert you need here. The only reason I know a little about boot.wim is because I dabbled with Windows AIK in an attempt to make an auto-install of Windows 7. My guess, and this is just a guess, the Win7 installer is giving an error message as close to the real problem as it has in its available list. AFAIK, the only time you modify boot.wim is if you need to roll-up special drivers for your hardware to boot. Normally unnecessary if you make a regular install from the DVD.

I agree with Bill Kingsbury that if you suspect your DVD is bad, download the ISO and burn a new DVD to be sure. I would definitely suggest you use either the MD5 or SHA1 checksums from this MDL thread just to be sure (sorry English only). I downloaded a copy of the Win7x64 Home Premium ISO and it took 3 attempts before the download was successful. Based on my download speed, I think Digital River somehow traded the crc checksum bit for transfer speed. The browser gave me no warning of a failed download. The only reason I suspected was because the size of the download didn't match that of the source. The second attempt was the correct size but still the wrong checksum. MDL is also a good resource in general. You may find your flag 9 answer in MDL's Windows 7 Forum.

I'm guessing from the sheer number of hits in a search related to "boot.wim and flag 9", the DVD is not the problem. You didn't mention but is it a blank disk? Windows 7 puts the boot files on a small hidden active partition and the operating system itself on the remainder of drive 0, unless you specify otherwise. My guess is Win7 ran into a problem because there was already an active partition that was not empty. If you already have a full backup, just erase the master partition table and try again. The Windows 7 utility Diskpart has a clean option just for that purpose. Much quicker than a regular format. I don't know if the format option during an install includes a quick format. Proceed with caution. Again, got a viable full backup?

Al Combs

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 83 users online (0 registered, 83 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 6:57 am UTC  |  Hits:62,395,960  (10,746 Today )
RSS Feed