ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[OT] RAID error installing Windows 7   [OT]

By: Andrew Watson     Perth, Western Australia  
Date: Jun 24,2014 at 00:25
In Response to: [OT] Configure boot.wim error installing Windows 7 (Neil Clough)

When I read and replied to your post it was a theoretical exercise.

Then ...

Yesterday I got a call from a friend saying that their Win 7 Ultimate PC wouldn't load.

After trying all the suspects:

last known good config
safe mode
repair off DVD

I decided it had to be rebuilt.

I am reminded of a talk by a MS rep at a TechNet conference I attended many years ago.

He described all the ways you can try and revive a problematic Win install. Then he said, "However, the time taken to try and fix things may be longer than rebuilding so you should dust off the data and nuke it from orbit."

Dust off is a US Army term for evacuating medical casualties, usually by helicopter.

The article below says it is an acronym but I suspect it is a backronym.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualty_evacuation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym

I tried booting off BartPE so I could use ZTree to back up everything, including files that are usually locked by Windows, but it blue screened.

I suspect this may be part of the cause of the problem, because I then booted off the first very old Ubuntu 8 CD I found. It displayed the RAID 1 Mirror as two separate drives. (Later when trying to fix the problem I ran into, I booted off the latest Ubuntu disk and it displayed the mirror as one drive.) I backed up everything to an external drive and then to reduce data restore time moved all files to zOldWindows. I did this on both of the mirror drives. Possibly this is what screwed things.

When I installed Win 7 Ultimate x64 it went without a problem until it finished installing and rebooted. It displayed an error message that after researching I found indicated that setup needed to be fed the RAID driver before Install Now.

I downloaded the RAID driver and installed it but now it says it can't install on the drive. When I look at the drive I see that it is now drive F: with the system partition as C: and the DVD drive as D:.

Research indicates that Win 7 X64 can only be installed on C: but other comments say rubbish, it can be installed on any drive.

I will probably end up blowing away the RAID and recreating it and let Setup repartition. Pity, because it will take a lot longer to restore off the external drive.

I also found a comment that said that W7 SP1 has the RAID drivers and 4k/512 sector support built in so I am currently downloading the ISO. Pity I didn't do it overnight as it says it will take 2 hours.

This is basically just a war story but if anyone has experience setting up W7 on RAID I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Andrew Watson

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 85 users online (0 registered, 85 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 11:43 am UTC  |  Hits:62,404,223  (19,009 Today )
RSS Feed