ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[OT] Mobile Data Monitoring   [OT]

By: Andrew Watson     Perth, Western Australia  
Date: Dec 02,2014 at 01:41

I am writing this from the Eyre Highway which crosses from Norseman in Western Australia to Port Augusta in South Australia around the Great Australian Bight and across the Nullarbor Plain, a distance of about 1640km.

We are on our way from Perth to Adelaide, a distance of about 2700km.

The Eyre Hwy travels through empty bush with only roadhouses for fuel, food and accommodation every 150km or so. We carry all the food and water(which the roadhouses won't provide as it is so scarce) we need and we free camp in the bush so we only need the roadhouses for fuel.

I am able to post this message because I have a Telstra hotspot and there are mobile phone towers every so often.

If you are going to visit Australia and you are going to leave the cities and major towns the other two mobile providers, Vodafone and Optus, are useless away from these areas so make sure you get Telstra mobile data.

My mobile phone is with Vodafone and there hasn't been any coverage since we left Perth.

Despite me saying how good Telstra coverage is, it isn't continuous and there are gaps between the towers.

The map below shows almost continuous coverage if you have an external antenna but big gaps if you are only using a handheld device.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage

The reason for this post, other than to provide travel advice, is to ask if anyone knows of a program (PC) or app (Android) that:

1. monitors the wifi connection to the hotspot and beeps when an Internet connection is available and, not so importantly, when the connection is lost.

This would mean that I wouldn't have to keep an eye on the signal strength on the hotspot and wake up the display when it goes out every 30 seconds or so.

2. more ambitiously, on the phone, records the signal strength and location of all three providers and has graph and map displays of this info.

I assume the phone can monitor all three providers because even though I have zero bars on Vodafone whenever there is Telstra coverage it offers emergency calls.

Andrew Watson

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 58 users online (0 registered, 58 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 12:27 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,366,274  (18,671 Today )
RSS Feed