ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Thank you, thank you, thank you!   [Tip]

By: Andrew Watson     Perth, Western Australia  
Date: Feb 04,2015 at 01:49
In Response to: [Tip] New ZAAP: ZPreview (Martijn Coppoolse)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am using ZPreview64 and ZTW64.exe under Windows 8.1 Update 64 bit.

Works perfectly viewing JPG (see BUG report for OneDrive problem), BMP, PNG, MV3 (whatever they are), some DAT, GIF, ICO, OneBin (OneNote), TIF, some TMP but not WMF (which is surprising given it's an MS format) files.

These files were found after a quick scan of the files on my PC. I may have missed some viewable extensions.

I was going to ask whether it used the file extension to determine whether ZP could display a file but it obviously scans the content of the file because it was able to display some no extension files.

Is there a web page anywhere that lists what file formats should be able to be displayed?

Presumably I have to come to grips with Totalcommander WLX Lister plugins to handle other file formats. OK RTFM - Use Office 1.1 for Word and Excel files or Excellence for Excel files

However...

There are always howevers.

ZPEPs

I would like to make the following ZPEPs (ZPreview Enhancement Proposals)

1. Always on top option for the main window, the Sentinel window (which I think is only useful for developer) and the Image Info window (that I have never seen because I am using the 64 bit version).

In the meantime users may wish to use an Always on Top utility:

http://www.howtogeek.com/196958/the-3-be...ke-a-window-always-on-top-on-windows/

I am successfully using Turbo Top from this article though it doesn't work for the Sentinel window.

2. Full or Parent or Current path in Title Bar option

3. Fill window with image option

4. The Sentinel window is semi transparent. I don't want it but some may wish to have the option to make all windows opaque or with varying degrees of transparency.

5. Name the versions ZPreview32.exe and ZPreview64.exe so they can co-exist in same directory.

6. If ZP can't display a preview have an option to display file contents like F7 in ZTW (I leave it as an exercise for the developer to decide how many of the ZTW F7 options to include).

BUGs

1. The Sentinel, Image Info toolbar collapses to right hand end of toolbar line. This happens whenever ZP window is resized, minimised, windowed and restored.

When trying to drag it back to correct size it dropped to second toolbar line just a few pixels high. Very difficult to drag back to correct position. When I did the divider line scanned slowly (2 seconds) right along first toolbar line before being displayed. This also happens when ZP restored.

I suggest a single toolbar with no quirks.

You may wish to add my ZPEPs to the single toolbar. Possibly as icons with tooltips as window is likely to be windowed and there may not be enough room to display full text buttons.

2. The Image Info button should be removed in ZP64.

3. From the description I was under the impression it displayed the contents of PDF files but it doesn't for me.

4. ZP can't view OneDrive JPG placeholders, as you would expect. At least it doesn't trigger a download though I did get an error message "Unable to open file [1223]. I did get another one with a red X that I can't replicate though I suspect it was caused by me cancelling a OneDrive download caused by Open in ZTW before it had finished. It was probably an IrfanView error message.

I did manage to replicate it by ESCing from the download. The text is:

This file does not have a program associated with it to perform this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I also got the 1223 error at the same time.

5. I did get a ZP stream read error a couple of times. I had to shut down and restart ZP to get it working again.

Andrew Watson

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,590 Postings in 11,932 Threads, 348 registered users, 15 users online (0 registered, 15 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Nov 20, 2019 - 12:57 pm EST  |  Hits:29,198,841  (12,082 Today )
RSS Feed