ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] 7-Zip vs Power Archiver   [Tip]

By: Oliver Pretzel       
Date: Apr 28,2015 at 14:24
In Response to: [Tip] 7-Zip vs Power Archiver (Art Kocsis)

As a cross check I compressed a 5.8MB tree of (8bit ANSI) text files using 7z and PKZIPC (I don't use PACL for compression but it produces ZIP archives by default and cannot produce 7z archives). 7z produced an archive of just under 2MB, PKZIP produced one of just over 2MB the difference was under 100KB. The result might be different with 16bit unicode text files as these contain a very large number of 00 bytes.

It is tricky to compare archivers but on the whole 7zip produces better compression but is much slower than PKZIP. For example compressing my nandroid backups (890MB) 7z takes 6m30s and produces a file of 461MB, PKZIPC takes 1m20s and produces a file of 542MB. Extracting the files PKZIP takes 18s 7zip takes 1m30s.

The point of using PACL with ZTree is not that it is a superior archiver, but that it shows and extracts tar.gz and tar.bz2 files in a single step. 7zip only shows the inner tar archive at the first step. You have to extract it and then open it to show the contents of the archive.
That makes it useless for displaying the contents of such archives in ZTree.

Oliver

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,580 Postings in 11,930 Threads, 348 registered users, 16 users online (0 registered, 16 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Nov 17, 2019 - 6:54 am EST  |  Hits:29,147,265  (7,226 Today )
RSS Feed