ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] Console resize in Win 10   [Discuss]

By: Liviu       
Date: Oct 25,2015 at 23:37
In Response to: [Discuss] Full screen mode a mess (Peter Shute)

Thanks for the post, didn't notice it until now.

> I just accidentally pressed Alt+Enter instead of Control+Enter, and that's what I got.
> This is Windows 10, not sure if that shortcut works with previous versions.

Alt-Enter used to be a special hardware-mode full-screen in Windows versions up to and including XP. It was removed from Win 7 and 8.x.

As far as I can tell, the Alt-Enter that was re-introduced in Win 10 for console windows is quite different from the old one. It runs in the same graphics mode as the rest of the GUI, note for example that in the old mode you could never see both an Alt-Enter'd full-screen console *and* a GUI window on top of it at the same time - now in Win 10 you can. It looks to me more like eye-candy with a resized console without borders.

> Anyway, it made a mess of Ztree, with text strewn all across the screen

Confirmed, and you don't even need Alt-Enter for that. Just hover the mouse over a border (or corner) of the ZTree window, and you'll get a resize cursor. Now click and drag to make the window bigger. In Win versions prior to 10, that was not allowed. In Win 10, however, the console gets indeed resized to a bigger size, but ZTree is not aware of that (Shift-? still displays the original size), and the display is corrupted.

Just a guess, but it might have something to do with this tidbit from https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/10/07/console-improvements-in-the-windows-10-technical-preview/: "If you attempt to stretch the window width greater than the existing buffer size, we assume that you wanted to make the buffer bigger as well without all that messing around with the Properties dialog". Only Kim knows, but maybe "all that messing around with the Properties dialog" is what kept ZTree in-sync and tidy in previous Win versions ;-)

Cheers,
Liviu

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,426 Postings in 11,918 Threads, 348 registered users, 7 users online (0 registered, 7 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Sep 17, 2019 - 12:59 pm EDT  |  Hits:28,645,433  (1,433 Today )
RSS Feed