ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

OT: image viewers   [Q]

By: Liviu       
Date: Apr 08,2016 at 01:36
In Response to: OT: image viewers (Slobodan Vujnovic)

Slobodan,

TL;DR  I see no problem per se with open-sourcing rpVT, but honestly it's not in the best shape to attract new contributors. Anyway, this would be Kim's call in the end.

For background, my original goal was to convert Rudy's code from assembler to C (see [Discuss] rpVT's fate) precisely in order to make it more accessible and open to further development. Unfortunately, that goal never materialized. I must have been alot younger than I'd have thought 10 years ago ;-) and the goal was foolishly optimistic in hindsight, even more so since I hadn't yet seen any of the sources at that point. Once Kim sent me the code and I set out toying with it, reality started to sink in. There were vast parts of rpVT which I had never really used (comm mode, slide show etc) and many carefully crafted pieces that could not be foretold from the outside (such as the hand-coded Boyer-Moore text search). I was not able to borrow the massive time required for a faithful and complete C conversion, while anything less would have been undeserving of rpVT. So - after all the maintenance that went on the way up to B424 - the sources are still in assembler to this day, and require a very particular toolset from the MASM v6.15 era plus a 3rd party PNG library just to compile. That would make it not too attractive even to enthusiasts as far as open-source projects go nowadays.

Cheers,
Liviu

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,640 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 49 users online (0 registered, 49 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Apr 19, 2024 - 2:49 am UTC  |  Hits:62,919,988  (1,168 Today )
RSS Feed