ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] Go Back with Backspace in Chrome   [Tip]

By: Andrew Watson     Perth, Western Australia  
Date: Aug 20,2016 at 20:37
In Response to: [Tip] Go Back with Backspace in Chrome (Slobodan Vujnovic)

> Over the years, I have transitioned almost exclusively to
> Alt+LEFT/RIGHT to navigate
> in browsers, although I very often hit BACKSPACE.

I was aware of this key combination but I do a lot of my early morning browsing (news, email) sitting on the lounge in front of one of my PCs (one of only 7 + 1 iPad and 2 Android phones in the lounge, dining, kitchen area - you can never have too much connectivity) displayed on the TV using a wireless keyboard with integrated mouse pad. I find it is a real pain to have to use two hands to hit Fn+PgUp for Home etc and 2 hands were also needed for Alt+Left Arrow because there is no Left Alt on the keyboard that would have permitted one hand operation.

> My GMail (fun, tech) accounts may go away, but not those on free.fr,
> I'm hoping.

This is the exact opposite of what I recommend. I try and wean the users I support off using their ISP provided email address and get them to use either Outlook.com, if they are folder fiends, or Gmail, if they can handle search, filters and labels, because:

1. They may wish to / have to switch ISPs if a better deal is available, if they move or if their ISP goes bust or decides not to offer fibre.

This is particularly relevant at the moment because the NBN is being rolled out across Australia. National Broadband Network = bloody useless FTTN (Fibre to the Node) using the existing copper from the node, a refrigerator sized cabinet on every street corner, to the premises with optical fibre from the node to the exchange instead of FTTP (Fibre to the Premises). The allegedly cheaper FTTN option restricts download speeds to about 50Mb/s compared to 1Gb/s with FTTP.

We can't complain. We are in the first area in Perth to get FTTN and our speeds went from 3.0/0.6 Mb/s Down/Up on ADSL to 24.5/4.9 on a 25/5 unlimited data plus unlimited free local, national and mobile VoiP AUD70/month plan (USD53 so you can more easily convert to your currency).

2. Because the email is stored in the cloud I don't have to worry whether users are backing up their email.

Andrew Watson

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,489 Postings in 11,923 Threads, 348 registered users, 7 users online (0 registered, 7 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Oct 21, 2019 - 9:22 pm EDT  |  Hits:28,790,722  (5,390 Today )
RSS Feed