ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[General] ZTW for Automated Backup?   [General]

By: Oliver Pretzel       
Date: Sep 10,2016 at 10:52
In Response to: [General] ZTW for Automated Backup? (Steven James)

> > > I'd like to perform fully-automated incremental backups of my
> > > primary (C:) drive (excluding C:\Windows) every night at midnight.
>
I don't think ZTree is particularly suited to performing unattended batch tasks. It is better to use a command line utility. There is a well-established small reliable free command line utility called robocopy, that has a specific command line switch for performing an incremental backup. Its syntax is a bit weird, but once you have mastered it you can easily perform very sophisticated tasks.

I have for years used it to make a weekly copy of my main data drive to an external hard drive. For additional security I use two external hard drives alternately. I start the copy manually but then leave it to do its stuff.

The command I use is

robocopy "" "" *.* /MIR /XF pagefile.sys /XD Recycler "System Volume Information"

Since robocopy interprets \" as a literal " the source and target directories should be followed by a space thus: "C:\ ". The /MIR option syncs the full source branch one way to the target (so it deletes files in the target that are no longer in the source). /XF excludes the following file names, /XD excludes the following sub-branches.

I think it would be extremely easy to schedule a version this command (after you have tested it manually to check that it works as you wish). It would probably be advisable to add an option to make robocopy write a log file if you are running at midnight. I just look at its on screen report when it has finished.

Oliver

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 55 users online (0 registered, 55 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 3:37 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,371,701  (24,098 Today )
RSS Feed