ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

ZTW works as fast - after Logging the drives   [WishList]

By: Bill Kingsbury       
Date: Nov 06,2016 at 23:07
In Response to: [WishList] Use Everything seach tool Database (Keith Gorham)

> I love ZtreeWin and use it often, but the major flaw in it is the
> time it takes to scan an disk(even an SSD). I use an Windows tool from
> Voidtools.com called everything to search for and find files. Even with
> that tool, I use Ztree for certain tasks that it does not do well.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to use the database that is already
> exist and kept up to date to feed to Ztree when it loads to speed up the
> search of files. Just an thought.

ZTree works as fast as Everything, after you've logged the drives.

I run a custom ZTree Macro after starting ZTree to log eight (8) drives -- with (G)lobal currently showing a total of 263,340 files.. Task Manager shows ZTW64 using 12 MB when first opened, and 66.452 MB after logging the 8 drives (partitions).

Running this macro will take 3 - 4 minutes the first time, after re-starting Windows -- and thereafter about one minute, to re-log the drives to account for files changed by other programs.

Start recording the macro with "Esc,Esc,Esc,Home" (to always start in the directory view, in the C: drive's root directory). Then do an "Alt-Log-Branch" for each drive -- based on Letter-marked drives/directories that you have set in, and accessed via the Treespec History. The resulting macro must subsequently always be run from (anywhere on) the C: drive -- using Alt-F12 in ZTree, if it's the last macro used.

Note: I'm using this ZTreeWin shortcut properties command line:

"C:\Program Files\ZTreeWin\ZTW64.EXE" /Y /ZM "C:\Users\(user)\Documents"

Bill

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 92 users online (0 registered, 92 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 11:25 am UTC  |  Hits:62,403,631  (18,417 Today )
RSS Feed