ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Crashplan for real backup   [OT]

By: Laurent Duchastel     Montréal, Québec  
Date: Aug 03,2017 at 23:47
In Response to: Crashplan for real backup (Peter Shute)

> What's to stop you using the free local backup on several computers to
> back them up to another one, then having a single paid plan on that one
> to backup up it and the backups to the cloud?

Very clever, but you cannot use CrashPlan to back up a CrashPlan backup archive.

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Can_I_back_up_a_backup

> How does the ransomware protection work? If ransomware encrypts some
> files, and they get backed up, do you have access to the pre-encryption
> versions?

If you get infected, just reformat your computer and reinstall every apps. Then restore files as there were before unwelcomed encryption.

Alternatively, you can restore any file or for branch for any given date to any computer.

> What's the recovery sequence? Reinstall Windows, install Crashplan,
> recover? How well does it cope with recovering to different hardware, eg
> smaller drive, different version of Windows, etc?

Use Crashplan for data files, not system files. It's not partition imaging. It's data backup.

You have to reinstall OS and apps from original sources. But today, most of them can be clean downloaded on a fresh install, including Windows 10 itself.
It's an hassle to reinstall everything, but typically in less than three hours, I have reinstalled everything on a clean reformatted - ransomware-free - computer.

THEN, restore data files on the new computer.

But actually, you can recover all or only a selection of files on any another computer, then transfer to the new one. For instance, I restored my cousin's 350Gb worth of files on my PC as I was still shopping a replacement for her stolen laptop. Then, as I was reinstalling everything on the new laptop, I was transfering at the same time in background (with ZTree!) files from my PC to hers.

> How does it deal with deleted files? Do they remain available for
> restore after the next backup? If so, do you have to do anything special
> to avoid including them in a full restore?

Every deleted and modified files are kept for a very long time (by default a year). You can restore any file or branch for any given date. Such as "restore my Paris's holiday folder as it was a month ago, before I mess pictures with that stupid editing software".

Laurent Duchastel

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,631 Postings in 12,230 Threads, 350 registered users, 70 users online (0 registered, 70 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 19, 2024 - 8:08 am UTC  |  Hits:62,011,970  (9,251 Today )
RSS Feed