ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Progress bar in taskbar button   [Discuss]

By: Martijn Coppoolse   Homepage   Voorburg, NL  
Date: Dec 11,2017 at 04:44
In Response to: [Discuss] Spinner/timer idea (Slobodan Vujnovic)

> I can also see the Taskbar with my three ZTree icons just sitting
> there.
> I don't know how easy it is to animate those, but, maybe swapping the
> icons is an option: (ZTree could ship with two icons, the current one,
> and another one (with a red dot or something) that would emerge when
> the spinner starts. When the spinning stops, the old icon is restored.
> Or maybe ZTree could superpose some pixels on those icons
> programmatically?

From Windows 7 on, it's possible to display a progress bar on the task bar button of each application. One of the progress bar states is ‘indeterminate’, which merely indicates activity — exactly like the spinner(s)!

The following example is from this wish I posted 7 years ago:

For the present discussion, only the ‘no progress’ and the ‘indeterminate’ states would be relevant; I can imagine incorporating this with the existing progress bar could be a hassle, let alone with the error handling and reporting...

I’ve found the ITaskBarList3 interface not all that difficult to implement, even for a console window.
Then again, I’ve only ever used it in Delphi or C#, both of which automagically handle quite a lot of stuff when using COM automation. I don’t really know how difficult that is to program in C++ (which ZTreeWin is written in, IIRC), but I’ve heard lots of ‘headache’ comments about it over the years.

Of course, that interface was only added in Windows 7, which implies this would not work on pre-7 versions like XP or Vista.

--
Martijn

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,579 Postings in 11,930 Threads, 348 registered users, 19 users online (1 registered, 18 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Nov 14, 2019 - 9:17 am EST  |  Hits:29,094,952  (4,868 Today )
RSS Feed