ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Basic functionality seems to work fine, compare not so   [Q]

By: Martijn Coppoolse   Homepage   Voorburg, NL  
Date: Jun 21,2018 at 17:47
In Response to: Basic functionality seems to work fine, compare not so (Peter Shute)

> > Opening them in Notepad++ seems to work OK, too, but only if opening
> > them in separate windows. If I open one of them in Notepad++, and then
> > the other one in the same window, Notepad++ thinks "hey, I've
> > already got this file open", and activates that tab.
>
> That's an interesting one, and also sounds like there's deliberate
> case conversion. I wonder how Word and Excel go in this situation.

I just tested both, and their reaction is identical to that of Notepad++: the first file of that name opens the correct one; but if the same file name with different case is subsequently opened, the software sees that it has the same name as a file that's already open, so that one is activated instead.
So the comparison to opened file names is indeed case-insensitive: both are converted to the same case before comparing them.

> I expect we'll start to hear about more and more of these, although I
> can't see a great demand for enabling it yet. I'm not convinced there
> was ever much point to it in Linux anyway.

Agreed. Sometimes it can be useful, and case-insensivity can be a pain for software developers (you always have to remember that filename comparisons have to be case-insensitive on Windows); but as a user, I prefer case-insensitive: when in doubt, just type it all in lowercase, and the correct file will be found. On Linux, you have to pay attention to case, otherwise the file will not be found.

> I often use "camel case" in
> file names to make them easier to read without adding spaces, but it
> could make it painful to type if you had to get it just right when
> referring to one of them. But I expect that debate has been had many
> times in the Linux world, and it's interesting that Microsoft is giving
> in to it.

I'm afraid Microsoft's now created the worst of both worlds: case-sensitivity can now be different for each separate directory. So it becomes incredibly difficult to know how file name case should be treated...

--
Martijn

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,426 Postings in 11,918 Threads, 348 registered users, 6 users online (0 registered, 6 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Sep 22, 2019 - 1:55 am EDT  |  Hits:28,655,349  (191 Today )
RSS Feed