ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Github? Or Bitbucket then?   [Wiki]

By: Martijn Coppoolse   Homepage   Voorburg, NL  
Date: Dec 11,2018 at 10:49
In Response to: GitHub? (Tim Mongeon)

> As a user I always found Github a pain to navigate.
> Easy to find source files but not easy to find binaries (or information).

You have to know where to look, and the repository owner has to have configured the relevant parts in their repository.

One example of a repository that has done almost everything possible within GitHub is Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code.

It has a title, a link to the software's website (but no descriptive text, even though GitHub does provide space for that). They use GitHub’s releases feature, so there is a link provided to them — that’s where you’ll want to be to download binaries. But I agree that it’s rather hidden away (and ‘downloads’ would have been clearer to most people).

They have also included a (fairly complete) README file in their source code; unfortunately, GitHub displays that below the source code files, so you have to scroll down to see it.

Most repositories I’ve seen do include a README (of varying quality), but when there are many files in the repository’s root, it’s often not immediately visible.

And each and every one of these features is optional, so many repositories don’t show them.

So it’s both GitHub’s fault and that of the repository owner if things aren’t easy to find.

> I have never seen a forum on Github.

That’s because GitHub doesn’t provide forums.

> As for replacing the Ztw2.com forum with Github - please don't. I
> like the format Kim has now - it is easy to maneuver, provides a lot of
> information and the tree layout easily identifies who said what to whom.

I agree.

> Against Github - but of course you have to do what is best and Ztwiki
> in whatever form is better than no Ztwiki.

Would bitbucket be an acceptable alternative for you?

As an example, I’ve just added a wiki to an existing — unrelated — repository, and opened it for public editing here: https://bitbucket.org/vor0nwe/mctools/wiki. You do have to have (or create) an Atlassian account to be able to edit it.

--
Martijn

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,631 Postings in 12,230 Threads, 350 registered users, 79 users online (0 registered, 79 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 19, 2024 - 6:29 am UTC  |  Hits:62,010,359  (7,640 Today )
RSS Feed