ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[ZEP] Filter+Display files by creation date   [ZEP]

By: John Gruener     Orlando, Florida  
Date: Jan 19,2019 at 23:08
In Response to: [ZEP] Filter+Display files by creation date (Ben Kent)

> John
>
> I did say "from memory" ;-)

Understood. ;-)

> Having Alt-Sort as a way to change the behavior of filter and display,
> is not intuitive, so there is some work to be done to improve the
> interface.

I definitely agree that Alt-Sort F4 is not a very intuitive place to select which date is displayed in the file windows. Kim probably chose this as the easiest place to add it at the time, and it was a welcome addition to have the option, no matter where it was. But the fact is the displayed date changes whether or not the files are currently sorted on the date. So it's not strictly a sort option.

> As Alt-Sort,F4 has a toggle for the 3 dates, they must be all now
> logged, which means they can (technically) can be sorted(done), filtered,
> displayed, and in ZLOG(I presume done).

Yes.

> So
> Display: would need my Alt-Filedisplay ZEP and/or a YACO

That ZEP was truly a great piece of work. One of the most well thought out and described ZEPs on the forum. However, I think it would take a considerable amount of coding and debugging to implement.

> Filter datespec: to include Created, Written, Accessed, I expect
> something like ">c2019-01-01".

Yes, this is the "prefix" Kim and I referred to in my ZEP thread. Add w/c/a before the date to indicate what to filter on. However, I don't think this would be absolutely necessary. Automatically keeping the displayed date and filter in sync would be much simpler, less confusing and I think just as effective. One possibility would be to first implement it without the prefix, then add the prefix option later if someone really needs it.

An alternative to add this in a more intuitive place without creating an Alt-Filedisplay menu would be to add a new key to the file windows. Perhaps simply Shift-F4 which would display a menu: "Display date: Written Created Accessed". W/C/A would then immediately change the displayed date. It would also re-sort the files if they are currently sorted on date, and would change the filter if it's currently filtering on the date.

The Alt-Sort F4 option could remain, so there would be two places to do the same thing.

- John

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,631 Postings in 12,230 Threads, 350 registered users, 74 users online (1 registered, 73 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 19, 2024 - 12:03 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,016,595  (13,876 Today )
RSS Feed