ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Suspect Macs involved   [Help!]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: Feb 14,2019 at 15:56
In Response to: [Help!] Alt+compare shows differences I can't see (Martijn Coppoolse)

> Do you know the filesystem on that storage medium? Some filesystems (I
> seem to recall FAT is one) store the timestamp(s) with reduced accuracy,
> up to 2 seconds*.

Both are NTFS, although one is Windows 2003 Server R2 and the other is Server 2012 R2.

The files were copied from one server to the other with robocopy, which runs nightly.

The files are photos. It's possible that the original files were later recopied and overwritten from an iPhone or flash drive or computer. The presence of a .ds_store in the screenshot suggests a Mac is involved, so that's likely the answer.

Presumably robocopy has been ignoring the small time differences and not refreshing the destination copies. I did find other cases where the timestamp on a few source files was much older. In those cases probably someone edited the file, setting the timestamp to that day, then later copied the photo off their phone, etc, again, and overwrote it. Robocopy decided to not refresh the newer destination file with an older one.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

94,426 Postings in 11,918 Threads, 348 registered users, 9 users online (1 registered, 8 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Sep 20, 2019 - 10:21 am EDT  |  Hits:28,652,453  (895 Today )
RSS Feed