ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Q] UnRAR slowdown   [Q]

By: Liviu       
Date: May 28,2019 at 18:48

I am seeing the same behavior described here i.e. UnRAR'ing gets progressively slower with archives that contain many files/directories.

For a random example, I downloaded the git v2.21 source .zip and repacked it as a (*non* solid) RAR file. Extracting (via Alt-F5) all files from the ZIP took 30 sec, while extracting the same exact files from the RAR took 3.5 times that (= 1:45) and became slower and slower towards the end. The results are consistent whether using the UnZIP/UnRAR DLLs vs. (temporarily) renaming those so that the command lines in the BB2 file are used, instead.

Both the ZIP and RAR files unpack in 2-3 seconds at the cmd prompt, or using WinRAR. I realize that there is an overhead in ZTree about updating the display and other housekeeping, however I would have expected that overhead to be comparable between archive types ZIP vs. RAR. Any insight, clues, or tips much appreciated.

Cheers,
Liviu

Messages in this Thread

94,477 Postings in 11,922 Threads, 348 registered users, 6 users online (0 registered, 6 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Oct 17, 2019 - 11:36 pm EDT  |  Hits:28,770,030  (4,459 Today )
RSS Feed