ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] Options to disable special ZIP handling via ALT-F5 and/or UNZIP*.DLL   [Wish]

By: Liviu       
Date: Jun 02,2019 at 20:38

The title says it all. Although I have a particular use-case in mind (more about that below), I believe such options would also "future-proof" ZTree in general against later changes in the ZIP and RAR worlds. The options could be command-line switches, YACOs etc.

About the latter part, yes, I am aware that the UNZIP*.DLL and UNRAR*.DLL can be renamed/deleted, and ZTree will then fallback to using the respective BB2 entries, but it would still pop a warning about the missing DLLs once per session. It pains me to admit that I am partly guilty for that compromise ;-) but on a second thought, if I truly decided that I'll never use either or both of the ZIP/RAR DLLs then the warnings become pointless.

Back to my actual use-case at hand, the built-in ALT-F5 doesn't seem to handle ZIPs with UTF-8 encoded names correctly (bit 11 set in the general-purpose flag per 4.4.4 at https://pkware.cachefly.net/webdocs/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT). This makes archives containing such filenames unusable from ZTree, even though they could otherwise work if everything was left to a compliant BB2 entry. Below is an example of such an archive listed at the cmd prompt vs. ALT-F5'd in ZTree.

Cheers,
Liviu

[image]

Messages in this Thread

94,477 Postings in 11,922 Threads, 348 registered users, 5 users online (0 registered, 5 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Oct 18, 2019 - 12:19 am EDT  |  Hits:28,770,225  (61 Today )
RSS Feed