ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

OSK.exe   [Help!]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: Aug 16,2019 at 19:07
In Response to: [Help!] Missing page up/down, home, end keys on Windows tablets (Peter Shute)

> What's the best solution for this? I found this suggestion by Andrew
> Watson to install a replacement keyboard:
> http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=118539

I've just realised that the osk.exe that Andrew mentioned is built into Windows, and can be used on any PC, not just tablets. I had already found that one, but had decided it wasn't helpful because it was so tiny.

But then I realised it can be resized, which I managed to do using the on screen trackpad, one finger on the left button, one finger on the pad to drag the edge. Still too small for normal use, but ok if I'm desperate to use the navigation keys.

I also found the Options button, and worked out what "Show keys to make it easier to move around the screen" means. They mean easier to move the keyboard around the screen. It has buttons for moving the keyboard to the top and the bottom of the screen - helpful because it's always covering something you need to see.

It also has a button (Nav) to only show the navigation buttons. Unfortunately it won't let me display that and the normal Surface keyboard at the same time. And it hides the buttons for moving it to the top or bottom of the screen.

So for now I've pinned osk to the task bar for easy access, and I will close it when I need to use the normal keyboard.

Other suggestions welcome.

Messages in this Thread

94,426 Postings in 11,918 Threads, 348 registered users, 8 users online (0 registered, 8 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Sep 18, 2019 - 1:07 am EDT  |  Hits:28,647,418  (165 Today )
RSS Feed