ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

I'm talking about year started, not age - anyone after 2000?   [Discuss]

By: Steve Rawling     Sydney  
Date: May 06,2020 at 20:06
In Response to: I'm talking about year started, not age - anyone after 2000? (Peter Shute)

> I'm imagining that Windows 95's Windows Explorer (1995), and to a
> lesser extent(?) Windows 3.x's File Manager (1990), fulfilled enough of
> the need for a file manager that Xtree takeup plunged.
>
> I'm curious to know if we have ANYONE here who started with
> Xtree/Ztree very much after that. I assume most recent Ztree users are ex
> Xtree users looking for a replacement for it.
>
> At work I simply cannot get anyone else to try it. Explorer does enough
> that they can get by. For advanced things like getting branch sizes or
> comparing branches, they either ask me or google for dedicated tools.

I totally agree with what you say here Peter. Even for me File Manager's arrival meant I only used Xtg when I shelled out of my DOS program GEOCOMP straight into xtg at the working directory where I needed to manage/rename/move/text-edit a multitude of dddddd.ext files.

It was of course when Windows copied apples graphical interface style of easy to learn "intuitive" mouse driven management and "beautiful" True type fonts and white background that attracted the new user.

Its funny Windows v 1 and 2 were so bad, the MS domination could easly have failed. I read an interesting opinion piece that suggested Windows survived and caught on even though it was so bad in the ealy version because of the use of the word "WINDOWS". Everyone understood that metaphor

Anyway, back to work now
Cheers

Messages in this Thread

95,075 Postings in 11,986 Threads, 350 registered users, 40 users online (2 registered, 38 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Aug 12, 2020 - 5:28 pm EDT  |  Hits:33,070,044  (18,402 Today )
RSS Feed