ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

File as a ZEP   [Help!]

By: Liviu       
Date: May 25,2020 at 00:50
In Response to: File as a ZEP (Tim Mongeon)

> problem that I think some are referring to is that there exists an incompatibility with some older 32 bit programs,

Not really, the path limits - both old and new - apply to all apps, whether 32b or 64b. The problem is that there is a lot of code out there that manipulates file and path names using a fixed 260-characters long buffer. Rewriting such code to support variable length buffers up to 32K, instead, is not always trivial. It is between funny and telling that Microsoft's own sample code at, for example, GetFullPathNameW still uses the same fixed-size buffer for the path name, only change was to make it (an arbitrary) 4,096 characters long instead of 260 prior to 2016. Reality is that Microsoft recognizes this, which is why the new path limits are not on by default, but rather have to be first enabled at the OS level, then for each app individually.

> I can't get my 16 bit programs to run currently. If anyone knows how [...]

Assuming you are running the 64b version of Windows 10 you would need to setup a virtual machine with an earlier Windows that still supports 16b apps. In (the unlikely) case you run the 32b Windows 10, you would just need to enable NTVDM somewhere under legacy components.

Cheers,
Liviu

Messages in this Thread

95,101 Postings in 11,990 Threads, 350 registered users, 58 users online (1 registered, 57 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Sep 25, 2020 - 4:22 pm EDT  |  Hits:34,253,817  (12,316 Today )
RSS Feed