ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Is this kind of this a cryptolocker risk?   [Discuss]

By: Laurent Duchastel     Montréal, Québec  
Date: Nov 25,2020 at 20:30
In Response to: Is this kind of this a cryptolocker risk? (Peter Shute)

> If your OneDrive is available as a drive letter, does that increase
> the risk that a cryptolocker could get to the files there?

I don't think so, as drive letter or not, OneDrive is already synced on your computer, whether or not you activate Files-on-demand. So, not increase in risk IMHO.

OneDrive does have a feature to rollback data before a given date, thus a basic safeguard to cryptolocking attack, but as OneDrive is also protected by the same password as your computer, this is in reality giving the key of the safe to a burglar in case of cryptolocking

By far, I prefer an independent solution, which is both realtime backup with Crashplan and external hard drive where I mirror weekly all my data and libraries.

Also, safe computer practices, especially when trying new stuff, protect from cryptolocking. I make daily use of Virtualbox machines, but I have also a dual-boot computer with working snapshot of clean and plain "test-os" on dedicated partition that I can restore in few seconds with help of fantastic BootIT UEFI
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Laurent Duchastel

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 126 users online (0 registered, 126 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 2:58 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,409,916  (24,702 Today )
RSS Feed