ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Release] 10 years in beta ?   [Release]

By: Art Kocsis     So Calif  
Date: Jul 15,2021 at 03:39
In Response to: [Release] 10 years in beta ? (Laurent Duchastel)

> I just noticed that ZTree's last "stable" release (named as such)
> is more than 10 years old. This is 2.2 version still available on
> official website.
>
> Since of course, many zeta and beta, very stable each of them, but not
> official release.

Exactly! But most importantly, someone visiting the site that is new to ZTree will be unaware of the zeta versions and will only see that the app is ten years old. 99% of the visitors will stop right there and assume that the program has been abandoned and not worth further investigation. Similar result from all the dead and obsolete links on the site. It is really Kim shooting himself in his foot.

While there may be a bug in a zeta release there are bugs in the 2.2 release. The zeta releases are a lot more stable and bug free than a lot of "final" products. I certainly do not look at any zeta release as anything less than a finished and stable release.

As Slobodan has mentioned, ZTree is a hard sell and it is made even harder by an outdated release and web site. I get the impression that Kim much prefers coding to marketing. I don't blame him. I would too. However, I have a selfish motive to promote ZTree and keep it viable: I want Kim and ZTree to outlast me and I figure I may have about 20 years left so updates are needed. The day that ZTree quits working is the day that I quit computers - it is literally just too painful to operate without it.

Namaste', Art

Press any key to exit,
Press any other key to continue...
- unknown

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 64 users online (0 registered, 64 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 1:18 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,367,900  (20,297 Today )
RSS Feed