ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

aZENbler = Time & Patitence   [OT]

By: Slobodan Vujnovic   Homepage   France  
Date: Jul 21,2000 at 00:31
In Response to: windows programs in assembly language (Jim Wilson)

> Well, I guess my explanation wasn't succinct after
> all... hope this helps you somewhat though.

Jim, you are showing your age, but that's an excellent summary!

Personally, I wouldn't run away from assembly programming today -- provided it's better paid and there is twice as much time allocated for a project.

It has become a rare skill but is still needed for tight, optimized, hand-crafted code -- no complier can optimize it that well, IMO. (Yeah, I also thought a computer would never beat Kasparov in chess...)

What I liked about it (20+ years ago) was that, after some practice, you can turn it into a somewhat higher level language by using macros and subroutines and by building your own reusable libraries. This made programming increasingly easier, but with the advantage of total understanding and control. That's a very rewarding feeling!

Were there more bugs, given the amount of lines that correspond to a single C line? I don't know, things were done more slowly and carefully with an enormous (masochistic) sense of economy and, almost, respect for the machine. They were expensive, work was cheaper.

If Bhuddist monks programmed, they'd use an assembler ;-)

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 48 users online (0 registered, 48 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 3:08 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,371,011  (23,408 Today )
RSS Feed