ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] Use ZTW to update ZTW   [Bug]

By: Art Kocsis     So Calif  
Date: Apr 05,2022 at 02:49
In Response to: [Tip] Use ZTW to update ZTW (Alan Smedley)

> > You don't need a secondary version of ZTree (except for updating ZTW
> > itself), just a separate link. Use the /ZID command line switch to
> > point to a separate ZTW.ini file and (optionally), the /T switch to
> > give the ZTW window a unique title.
>
> My process of updating has always been to close down ZtreeWin and
> overwrite all the files with the newer version, as I always have the .ZIP
> files of previous versions saved.
>
> Before trying your suggestion, does the seperate ZTW.ini have to reside
> in a seperate directory or can it be just a different unique name in the
> same directory as the ZTW.ini?

The ZTW.ini file pointed to by the /ZID switch can be anywhere on your system including in the same directory as the original ZTW.ini (with a unique name). This works fine for multiple behavior instances of ZTW but not for updating ZTW itself. You still need a separate directory instance of ZTW to update the original as the EXEs and support DLLs all have to be in version synch.

I use the command line options to decouple the ZTW exe modules (EXEs & DLLs), from the data files (INI, history, customized archiver, F9 menu, etc) by moving the data files to the ZPATH & ZTOOLS directories. Also for testing updates and/or configurations. I try to keep the ZTW exe folder itself uncluttered.

Although I have a couple of old/oddball installations of ZTW on my system, ZTW updates are not frequent enough for me to remember to use them. I just go through the procedure I noted.

Namaste', Art

Press any key to exit,
Press any other key to continue...
- unknown

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 86 users online (1 registered, 85 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 11:52 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,384,984  (37,381 Today )
RSS Feed