ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Wish: Add Old DOS feature   [Wish]

By: cal kaschub       
Date: Aug 04,2000 at 21:43

In XTree there was an option to display filenames in lowercase. In DOS, where all filenames showed up normally in uppercase, this made the filename list more easily readable. That is, there was more "space" around the names and the eye could more easily locate its target. At any rate, it seemed then, and still does, that lowercase display of names which are stored as all upper is easier to use.

Now in WIN9x there is the option to use UpperAndLower which is much better yet. But there are still many legacy systems which were started and disks written in the DOS era which would benefit, IMO, from the lowercase display option. It occurs as I write this that a "combination" might be better: if name is upper/lower leave as is. If name is upper only, allow choice of upper or lower via configuration option.

Importance of this: for me MEDIUM. It would be nice. I think this nearly everytime I use ZTW.

How do the rest of you regard this?

A final note: If I knew how to change all of the old DOS era filenames which are now upper to all lower, or had some utility for doing this, I would just as soon have that.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 73 users online (0 registered, 73 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 6:15 am UTC  |  Hits:62,394,819  (9,605 Today )
RSS Feed