ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Wish: View/Unicode (proposal)   [Wish]

By: Walter Rassbach       
Date: Aug 31,2000 at 14:58
In Response to: Wish: View/Unicode (Kim Henkel)

> Searching for 'Unicode' simply involves ignoring
> every second byte.
> Is this how you would want Unicode displayed?

> (this is a post v1.50 item regardless, sorry).

Ouch, that's a thorny problem... For those of us not using funky characters (my guess is very few ZTree users do), Unicode strings are gonna be alternating 0x00 and meaningful 1 byte characters, and displaying the non-0x00 characters should work fine as long as you synchronize correctly (and resynchronize if there are some non-Unicode characters interspersed...

However, what are you going to display when it isn't 0x00 alternation?? (for that matter, search really should be checking those interspresed 0x00's).

Note that the Junk filter does OK on unicode, except that the unicode strings are somewhat lost in the noise. Maybe (even pre-1.50) the Junk filter could be made into a 3-step toggle with the new form just eliminating 0x00's -- It would be really nice if it highlighted the character that follows in that case (and, I think that such a filter with the highlighting would actually be a dynamite unicode viewer for most of us -- the unicode strings would stand out quite nicely and be quite readable...).

So, that's what I would propose: A Junk type filter which just eliminated 0x00's ("nulls") and highlighted the character that follows each 0x00... Whether it could go in pre-1.50 is Kim's call...

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 117 users online (0 registered, 117 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 3:47 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,411,711  (26,497 Today )
RSS Feed