ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Not Adding to Ztree   [Discuss]

By: Walter Rassbach       
Date: Nov 03,2000 at 19:48
In Response to: Not Adding to Ztree (Jim Farnsworth)

> Now there's one I really don't understand Walter.
> I can see advantages to having the file seperate
> so why
> would you want to integrate it?

A couple of reasons:

1) Have you ever gotten the two out of sync? If it was integrated, there would be no danger of that (I have had it happen to me -- Yes, it was "careless", but I can just imagine what a naive user might manage).

2) Ease of access and uniform screen formats (I have suggested that such options ought to be planted in the ?-Statistics panel and menus).

3) Reduction in code size. There are a lot of duplicated basic routines. Moreover, ZTree's are nicer.

4) Ease of maintenance for Kim -- The code for a particular set of options can be kept in the same code file with the code it affects in a lot of cases.

5) Some bells and whistles: Rather than having to type in the path to your editor, you can point to it using F2. There are some other things like that.

6) Less impact when you change something, and a reduction in the code Kim has to have to recognize changed options and cover their effects on logged data (not a lot of places, but some).

7) For a few options at least (like editor), maybe a history. If one works with more than a couple of editors or viewers, an alt-% tagged editor history would be a godsend.

There's probably others, but that's a fairly good list...

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 67 users online (0 registered, 67 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 5:06 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,373,765  (26,162 Today )
RSS Feed