ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Re:Minimising All-desktop icon   [Tip]

By: Steve Rawling     Sydney  
Date: Nov 07,2000 at 11:19
In Response to: More Win+key shortcuts in W2K (Slobodan Vujnovic)

Slobodan wrote
> Win+D Desktop toggle. I think Win+M and
> Shift+Win+M still works, but is now useless.
> However, 99% of the people around me still prefer
> minimizing their windows with a mouse -- one by
> one -- to reach the desktop... sigh. And yes, even
> after you show them the shortcut -- they just
> can't/won't remember it...

I minimise all applications with one click on the desktop icon that sits beside the start button in WIN2e

This icon is added to the task bar by right clicking on an empty part of the task bar, selecting toolbars and ticking the *quick launch* toggle This will add both the desktop icon (and MS Internet explorer icon which can be removed by right click on the explorer icon ,delete). The icon can be moved to the left side of the taskbar by clicking on the vertical bar to the left of the desktop icon and dragging it across.

Personally I use the desktop as my preferred launchpad for my most used apps and reference/data files and temporary storage of things that take my interest.

I currently have 20 apps launchable from links or pifs, about 10 shortcuts to persistant data files and a few folders(eg ztw tips) from the desktop, which I keep as the std plain light green.

IMHHO, I think the desktop is THE most useful metaphor contained in the MS Gooey mess. I use it much the same as I use my real desk. Just like my real desk, it gets cluttered from time to time and I have to tidy it up

I admit this is a bit ram demanding but that's cheap these days.

BTW didn't MS steal this idea from Mac.

I continue to play around with the arrangement of the icons(after unclicking all auto arrange options)on that desktop space.

For a while I had my most commonly used apps in the centre of the screen and the lessor ones radiating from the centre on user related rays.

Lately I clutter my most used apps in the bottom right hand corner as a quick right push of the mouse always takes me there.

...Steve .

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 69 users online (0 registered, 69 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 11:11 am UTC  |  Hits:62,364,560  (16,957 Today )
RSS Feed