ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] ASCII to What?   [Discuss]

By: Michael Kahn       
Date: Mar 29,2001 at 07:16
In Response to: [Discuss] ASCII to What? (Jim Farnsworth)

> I knew you were going to say that ;-). But legacy
> ony
> defends to a certain point, then, it becomes a
> boat anchor ;-)

Maybe so, but it hasn't reach that point. In fact, I cannot recall ever having a significant problem with a hidden key in any software and I know of others in other software.

> and old. You're asking new users to learn a (to
> them)
> entirely new interface and at the same time
> saying "leave my *all* my old s%#t alone (Oh,
> we'll just
> hide it)!". These two goals are obviously not
> always compatable.

First of all new users have to learn the interface no matter what. Second, you never wan't to remove functionality and you don't force old (and we are talking 14 years here) users to retrain their reflexes if at all possible. Kim was able to update/enhance the View commands (to Find and Backward) without *forcing* anyone to loose [S]earch or [F9]. So where is the harm? Where is the boat anchor. Are users hitting "S" or "F9" by mistake here and getting a result that they don't want? I'll be a new (non-xtree) user never presses F9 in the viewer. But they just might hit "S" because 1. they are "Searching" and the command is [S]earch outside the viewer.

> Again, In my experence, Hidden stuff like this
> when left in a program can create problems/confusion
> later

How can you be confused by what you can't see and don't know is there? The only way is if you hit the key by mistake. What is the problem with allowing [S] start a search in the viewer? What is the scenerio by which a new user might be confused here?

> on. Kind of hidden YACOs. Since the whole point of
> this is to clarify function we need to clean up these
> hidden
> (and in many cases semi-documented) functions.

How about a YACO that turns on the "hidden" legacy keys, so a new user would not be confused?.

> be logical, fair, and *NECESSARY* if ZTree is to
> evolve significantly.
Perhaps, only if you want to freeup one of the hidden keys for something important.

../Michael

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 71 users online (1 registered, 70 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 10:06 am UTC  |  Hits:62,401,030  (15,816 Today )
RSS Feed