ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] User Assignable Keyboard Mapping   [Discuss]

By: Jim Farnsworth       
Date: May 23,2001 at 04:55
In Response to: [Discuss] User Assignable Keyboard Mapping (Darren DeFalco)

Darren,

Just my opinion (backed by 20+ years of controls / machine interface design), but, the abdication of standard function to the user is just bad program design. The biggest limitation in an interface would be if no one understood the commands for common functions.

You're asking the average user to design his own interface. Although some users are perhaps capable of this, overall, this concept is just plain stupid. This situation could benefit only a very small minority of users. I can only imagine the results if custom machinery control was designed in this manner.

A control schem, whether physical or virtual, must be carefully defined to achieve functionality. Any changes to that original standard should be carefully thought out before any changes are made. Macros are an entirely valid tool to enhance an existing command structure, but, the basic structure should remain relatively static so everybody understands what's going on.

That is exactly the situation with this forum. Starting with the original and well established XTree command structure, Ztree command structure has *evolved* through a combination of user input and Kims' careful oversight and design. That scenario has served us all very well, and I trust, will continue to do so.

JimF

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,640 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 55 users online (0 registered, 55 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Apr 18, 2024 - 5:38 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,916,335  (10,759 Today )
RSS Feed