ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Keyboard Shortcuts   [Q]

By: Dan LeGate       
Date: Aug 25,1998 at 11:02
In Response to: More Questions/Suggestions (Will Hafer)

> Are there keyboard shortcuts for moving around on the screen? By
> which I mean, shortcut keys on the regular
> typists' keyboard. If not, I'd like to suggest adding the
> venerable and elegant WordStar cursor command set to
> Ztree.

Yeah, John's right... you don't want to use Ctrl or Alt keys for navigation - even shift keys are used in a limited function and may be used more in the future.

But, since you're new to Ztree, there are a couple of things to make your work faster - shortcuts if you will.

In the directory window, you can use Shift-Letter to jump down the directory tree. For example, Shift-Z would take you to the C:\ZTREE directory (if it's visibily logged). Also, using the NumPad numbers will jump down to directories that start with numbers.

Using the left arrow will jump to the parent directory of the current subdirectory, and the right arrow moves down the directory tree's subdirectories.

If you haven't discovered TreeSpec yet, it's a great feature - especially when used in combination with the History list. By pressing the \ (backslash) or | (vertical broken bar/pipe) keys it will ask you to enter a directory name. Once you've entered your directory, it will log that directory. Now, hit \ or | again, hit the up arrow (to bring up the history list) and hit the INSERT key to make the entry permanent in your History list. Now, all you have to do to get to your favorite dirs, is hit the treespec hotkey, a couple of up arrows (to find the directory of choice) and then Enter, and voila! You're a that subdirectory buried deep within your directory sturcture! On my Windows NT machine, one of my favorite directories to put in the history list is the C:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator\Desktop directory, which is a pain to get to otherwise.

There's all kinds of other speedy ways to do things, but I'll leave you with these for now. If you already know all this, then I'm wasting my breath (or healthy wrists).

Dan

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 104 users online (0 registered, 104 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 1:07 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,406,812  (21,598 Today )
RSS Feed