ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] RFR - The Period   [Discuss]

By: Steve Rawling     Sydney  
Date: Jun 17,2002 at 07:14
In Response to: [Discuss] RFR - The Period (John Gruener)

> Your examples introduce the use of both the backslash and the double quote to do
> a F&R. I would prefer not to use two of the available three keys for this
> operation, so I certainly would like to find a better way.

What other use could be made of " inside of a \a.b\X.Y\ string?

Perhaps a simpler use of " would be to only have the initial " rather than the surrounding pair. This single " could also allow such things as decimal and hex values for charactrers to be added- which would be handy for the European's . For example

\".\-\ would replace all periods ,except the last period, with -
\*046\-\ would do the same as above
\*h2E\-\ would also do the same as above

I agree that inserting a period into an extension would be a very unsual action.

By accepting that multiple RFR's is a clearer approach, possibly a special case of RFR could be made where
\.\X\ be forced to do the specific task of replacing all but the last period with X. Wherever there exists no or just one period in a file name no action would be taken.

Personally I think your idea of adding extra coding after the \a.b\X.Y\ is not a good idea because it is too difficult to remember.

I think the use of a second character such as " is more consistent with pattern matching techniques used in editors and else where and opens the way to introduce bracketed strings for replacing any of the following with a specified character.
eg
\"[1234567890]\k\ to replace any numeral with k

An alternative to the use of " would be the pipe character |

But as I said in my earlier post, I don't think Kim should bother developing this pattern matching too far because most text editors have extensive possibilities that can be accessed for complex renaming tasks by editing the output of ctrl-Batch which has a line mask of ren %4 %4.

Steve

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 88 users online (0 registered, 88 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 6:16 am UTC  |  Hits:62,394,870  (9,656 Today )
RSS Feed