ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Cart before the horse please   [Discuss]

By: John Gruener     Orlando, Florida  
Date: Jun 17,2002 at 07:55
In Response to: Cart before the horse please (Michael Kahn)

> I would like to know about the "Wow" first. IOW, how about starting
> with why Ztree needs this feature (illustrated with real world examples )
> before getting into the syntax details of how to implement it? Then if it looks
> like something that many people think they could use, have a preliminary
> cost/benefit discussion involving things such as Kim's time, KISS, FC
> "can-of-worms".

I think, Michael, you mean "Horse before the cart please". ;-)

The ability to replace all occurrences of a character or string in filenames has been requested numerous times by numerous folks with numerous 'real world examples' on numerous versions of this forum, (even before the historical record). Frankly, I'm surprised that you even question the need.

In any case, Kim has decided to implement this now for a very good reason, (as a complete surprise to me, by the way). So the horse is in it's proper place, and now we are trying to help him build a suitable cart.

I agree with not building any more elaborate a cart than is necessary, (especially for what we've been calling a bug-fix release). By way of my opinions, I am just trying to provide some food for thought. It's up to Kim what part of this he does, and when.

Okay Michael?

- John

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 59 users online (0 registered, 59 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 9:04 am UTC  |  Hits:62,360,885  (13,282 Today )
RSS Feed