ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

dir\file = name.ext similarity   [Discuss]

By: Slobodan Vujnovic   Homepage   France  
Date: Jun 20,2002 at 22:44
In Response to: Simple design, complex application (Steve Rawling)

> It doesn't have to be regex, just a few pattern matching codes. These codes
> could be introduced one by one at Kim's leisure too.

Yes, why not, over time.

What seems to be brewing here is that the piping model is getting support, and this somewhat makes things easier, we'll see...

We want the current rename masks primitive to work seamlessly. In order not to break that, piping seems a good solution of making the old and the new co-exist very soon, with refinements to come later... Once/if this crystalizes, everybody's ideas are bound to undergo changes.

>Still I'm not advocating
> for them except for ". to stand for all but the last period.

I have a different view of this dot completely form any of you, I think. See, I'm also being ignored :-)

I know it's bizarre, buit I tend to think of name.ext as of the dir\file construct, when it comes to Rename.

The '\' does not exist in the file system, it's a separator, a convention, just like the dot in name.ext (not the dot in the name, of course, which is a flaw in design 20 years ago, IMO)

How do you deal with the '\' in the file system? You move, rename, delete, etc., files to (dis)sasociate them with their current or some other dir.

I'd tend to implement a primitive in Rename that deals with the dot separator in the same way -- to dissasociate the ext from the name part, ie, "move" the characters from the ext part to the "parent" string.

To make the association, of course, one just needs to insert a dot in the name, so we don't need a primitive for that.

> Good point about FR in copy and move! mainly because the copied files are not
> tagged and tags are removed when files are moved. Retagging/regrouping those
> moved files or file copies for a further ctrl+rename may be difficult as you
> say. Even more so with alt+Copy and Alt+move.

> I agree this has merit particualry for large number of tagged files and
> Ctrl+Rename

I'm glad you agree with this -- things will be totally under control in memory!

> But it could just as easily be kept within the current format , something like

> \pussy\cat\ \blow\good\ \sa\sally-\

Exactly, any separator is OK. You seem to agree that multiple commands supplied to Rename in one go is a good approach?

> But I see the introduction of the modifiers N,E,B as an unnecessary
> complication. I think it is simpler to fix the bugs in the current method so
> that this can be done by simply introducing the period at the start or end or
> not at all in the search string. I have explained in earlier post.

Modifiers are, like YACO's, that can completely be ignored when the default meets your needs. When it doesn't, users tend to whine, so better think of a place holder for them, in V3.0 or later, but build it in...

> As explained previously, the only really important change/addition to the
> current method that I advocate is the introduction of ". in the search
> string to represent any but the last period.

Again, I see the dot-separator as an entitiy different from the name and ext strings.
The name lives in one space, so does the ext. The separator is a link between them.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 65 users online (0 registered, 65 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 3:01 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,370,839  (23,236 Today )
RSS Feed