ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] Anyone remember this Xtree feature?   [Discuss]

By: Juergen Hestermann       
Date: Mar 27,2003 at 06:26
In Response to: [Discuss] Anyone remember this Xtree feature? (Peter Shute)

> In either Xtree Gold or Xtree Net, I can't remember which, there was a command
> to quite Xtree but to save everything in RAM to a file. Then when you restarted
> Xtree everything you'd logged, tagged, etc, was as you'd left it.

Yes, it was Alt+Z.

> Does anyone remember this feature, did you ever use it, and do you think it
> would still be useful with today's faster PCs?

As Michael already said, there where some discussions about that but I also don't know what to search for, maybe 'Alt-Z'?

This would be a great feature, of course. Especially, if many data files can be saved and reloaded. But I don't think that it will have the importance that it had in Xtree. I see two different reasons to implement this:

1.) The user wants to 'freeze' the current state to get back to it later, possibly after rebooting the pc. In Xtree/DOS times this was quite essential because in general you had to quit a program if you wanted to start another. This is no longer a problem. So only a reboot remains as a reason for doing this. And another condition is required to do this: The logged files have to be quite static in relation to the user. If other users in a network environment are changing files while the user is offline then the reloaded data is quite out of date and would have to be relogged anyway.

2.) The user wants to store a kind of screenshot to document files and directory structures. The data file is then used as a kind of database which can be loaded and examined (calculation of file numbers or sizes for different filespecs or dirs that existed at this certain time). This purpose would require a slightly different approach because the user could want to compare the stored data with the current data to tag changed files or so.

For me only purpose 2.) would be of value. But this one is also much more complicated to design and code.

Jürgen.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 90 users online (0 registered, 90 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 11:45 am UTC  |  Hits:62,404,324  (19,110 Today )
RSS Feed