ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] User Assignable Keyboard Mapping   [Discuss]

By: Walt       
Date: May 15,2003 at 12:29
In Response to: [Discuss] User Assignable Keyboard Mapping (John Gruener)

> The biggest problem with this idea, Walt, is the menu. Assuming for a moment
> that this is a good idea, how would you design it so the user could always fit
> these new words on the menu? The entire menu structure would have to redesigned
> to accommodate this.
First off, I was reacting to Key assignments. Yes, the menu itself poses another problem altogether. But some programs that allow key assignments do not allow menu assignments too, for if you change Alt-F to Alt-R for some reasong, the menu item still says "File"

> Programs that permit this kind of reassignment usually have scripted or
> programmable pull-down menus that can accommodate replacements and entirely new
> commands and mnemonics. The XTree/ZTree menu paradigm does not lend itself very
> easily to this. And there's also the problem of the Help file, which would also
> have to be scripted in some way to reflect the changes, if it's going to be of
> any use to the user after keys are reassigned.
As I implied, I also think in ZTree's paradigm, menu and key switching is probably not a good idea.

> In Michael's defense, I think he is reacting, (perhaps overreacting), to this
> whole issue, since we've had several discussions about it in the past.
Yes, and my response is simply a reaction to his arguments against it -- the arguments themselves I found emotional and illogical. The topic itself with the proper discussion (as we've done here and probably before) also points to the implementation of this topic as very problematic and probably not worth the effort. I personally don't care if remapping is possible, I most assuredly won't use it.

> ... In addition to the Menu and Help file issues, there is the
> support problem when someone reports an error with a particular key sequence.
> Every time this occurs, Kim would first have to establish that the keys have not
> been reassigned.
Absolutely, support would be a nightmare! Another valid reason for nonimplementation.

> In theory I like the idea, but in my opinion, as a practical matter for
> console-mode ZTree, it would be far too much design, programming and debugging
> effort, and far too many headaches added to the support task.
Again, I understand and agree. I am not an advocate for this addition, I just want logical reasons why it should not be implemented.

Walt

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 53 users online (0 registered, 53 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 4:46 am UTC  |  Hits:62,392,699  (7,485 Today )
RSS Feed